Summer has finally arrived in NYC and with it comes a slew of outdoor activities for kids! Whether you are prepping for the pool, the beach, the playground or a picnic in the park one thing is certain and that is that you can’t leave home without a snack bag! As any parent or caregiver knows the one thing every child requires is energy and sometimes replenishing this energy in a healthy way can be a challenging task; especially when on the go! Below you will find some easy portable snacks that kids love and you can feel good about giving them!
1. Cheese and fruit kabobs. Take regular cheese and use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes with it; then stick it on a kabob with pieces of fruit (berries, orange slices, grapes, kiwi, ect). For a time saver skip the cookie cutter and buy the cubed cheese which is kabob ready right out of the bag!
2. Tortilla roll ups! This snack is sure to keep those kids moving with it’s killer combination of whole grain and protein. Take peanut butter and spread it lightly over a whole wheat tortilla. Next add bananas (or you could substitute fruit spread). Roll it up and either leave whole (like a tube) or cut into bite size pieces.
3. Frozen grapes! This one involves little to no prep time and is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Simply take grapes (make sure they are seedless for the little mouths) and put them in the freezer. Once frozen the grapes will taste cool and tart making them as refreshing as ice cream on a hot day but without any of the added sugar and fat!
4. Make your own trail mix. This one is a great way to get kids involved! Kids are much more likely to eat anything they feel they have made themselves so set out nuts, granola, and dried fruit and let them go to town combining it, placing it in a snack bag and shaking it up to create the perfect snack they grab and go.
5. Black Bean brownies! This one is a secret recipe for moms and caregivers alike. Take regular brownie mix and add one pound of unseasoned, undrained pureed black beans and NOTHING else; bake at 350 for 35 minutes.. This snack will trick your kids into thinking it’s a real treat but you will smile knowing they just ate their beans and replenished all the protein they need to keep moving.
Enjoy summer in a healthy way everyday!